Thursday, September 8, 2016

I make my own mead

I've been making my own mead now for over two years now, since mid 2014.  I got into meadmaking for a few reasons.  One being that in 2013 and 2014 I very much enjoyed some great meads like Schramm's Statement Reserve, Heart of Darkness, BlackHeart, etc, which are some of the best liquids I've ever put into my mouth,  Unfortunately they're also very rare and expensive meads, not something you drink every day, or even able to find available often.  That really sparked my interest in home meads.  Aside from these amazing rare liquids, back in 2014 there really wasn't that many commercially available meads out there that I could easily walk into a store and buy.  So I decided to satiate my own thirst for honey water by making my own.

I talk like it was the middle ages, but I'm not shitting you when I say that the mead world has really exploded in the last few years.  The landscape between 2013 and 2016 is night and day.  There's so many more meaderies and resources out there.  In 2014 there really were 2 books on mead making, The Complete Meadmaker (by Ken Schramm) and then recently published The Complete Guide to Making Mead (by Steve Piatz).  There were a few janky blogs and some pretty inactive sub-forums on homebrewing sites, but all in all there really wasn't much information out there on homemade meads.  Thankfully to fill the gaps I also had a tasting group friend who had been making his own meads for quite a while, so I learned as much from him as I could as well.  The rest came from experimenting and experience.

So here I am today with a nice variety of homemade meads and I'm always creating recipes in my head.  The problem is I usually don't have open fermentor space to make batches as often as I would like.  But I have a laundry list of recipes written down just waiting.  There will be plenty more mead made.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home