Saturday, September 10, 2016

Superstition's Berry White Series

The infamous Berry White series is a collection of 4 meads (Berry White, Straw Berry White, Blue Berry White, and Black Berry White) that are released by Superstition Meadery.  At this point there have only been 2 batches of the series released (one of Straw Berry).



The meads come in ceramic 500mL swing top bottles, all with about a 300 bottle count. Batch 2 was released in Fall 2015 so these meads were about a year old at the time of tasting.  Retail for the set was $375.  They're not cheap.

Given the province, price, and low bottle count these meads are typically highly regarded in the mead community.  Additionally, they're delicious.


I previously tasted the set when they first came out in the Fall of 2015.  At that time I was not impressed by the set.  I thought they were tasty but overly sweet, to the point of cloyingly sweet.  However the second time drinking these, in August 2016 about a year after release, they are truly special meads.  They are still very sweet, but a bit softer and nuanced.  I was particularly fond of Staw Berry White, which was my favorite of the group.  It had this intense jamminess to it, almost like liquefied strawberry jam my grandma and mother make.

Overall all 4 were outstanding meads and I was very lucky to get to try them all again.  They are aging very gracefully and I think feel are worth the time and effort to seek out if you have the means.  It was an extremely enjoyable drinking experience.  If I had to rank my preference it would be as follows: Straw Berry>Blue Berry>Berry>Black Berry, although all 4 were fantastic.  If you're a fan of big, sweet, fruity melomels, these are right up your ally.


Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home